Tuesday, July 01, 2008

An Interview With Ed Lin

How've things been going with the release of This Is A Bust?
Very well! In fact, I think I've found a whole new audience who have stumbled upon me because they're into mysteries. But when they head on into Waylaid, I think they're in for a bit of a surprise!

In a nutshell, what's This Is A Bust about?
At it's core the book is about a damaged man looking for a reason to keep going. On the surface level, it's sort of a murder mystery set in New York's Chinatown in 1976 that an alcoholic, Chinese-American Vietnam vet-turned-cop has to solve.

What's the best compliment you've gotten about it?
Someone said it was like "Taxi Driver" with a Chinese-American cop in the place of Robert De Niro.

What's the strangest thing you've heard someone say about it?
Someone asked me in a Q&A why there was a car floating above the building on the cover. Um. . .yeah. . .

What keeps you writing?
I can't stop.

What are some of the things you're hoping to see while you're in the Twin Cities?
Are there statues of Grant Hart, Greg Norton and Bob Mould? I would totally burn incense in front of them.

Will we see This Is A Bust, the Movie?
You will see it as a movie in your mind as you read the book.

Do you have any new projects you're working on?
I always do. I also never say exactly what I'm working on. I'm Chinese. I'm superstitious.

Any advice for new writers?
Don't start until you're ready. Don't stop until you're done.

No comments: