Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Remembering Dixie Riley


Dixie Riley, a long-time friend and fellow community activist passed away this weekend at the age 58 at her home in Brooklyn Park.

She was retired from Anoka County and Northwestern Bell. Dixie was one of the first people I met among the Asian American activists of Minnesota when I moved up here to Minnesota in 1998.

She was always a supportive, warm and generous friend who impressed me with her knowledge and her passion for change and justice. I'll always remember her happily bringing her children with her to community events and getting them involved with our activities. I know they'll continue her tradition.


Dixie was involved with PPSEAWA, NOW, Sister Song and the Bootjack Saddle Club, and I'll always remember running into her at Dragon Festivals, readings, rallies and any community events where her presence was needed.

Bao Phi has a fine tribute to her at the Star Tribune this week. Strongly recommended reading, but I also have to say that I don't know if any tribute can really do her justice or express how much change she inspired out here in Minnesota. She will be greatly missed.

Th Mass of Christian Burial will be held 11:00 am Thursday, September 24 at St. Alphonsus Catholic Church, 7025 Halifax Ave N., Brooklyn Center (763-561-5100). The Visitation 5-8 pm Wednesday at Cremation Society of Minnesota, 7835 Brooklyn Blvd., Brooklyn Park (763-560-3100) and one hour prior to Mass. So long, Dixie, you made a difference.

No comments: