Monday, October 24, 2011

Eileen Tabios kicks off Asian American Poetry Today series

The St. Helena Star ran a nice article "Eileen Tabios' excuse for cleaning out the basement" as the Filipina American poet kicks off the seasonal Asian American Poetry Today series. She's also donating a number of items to the Library of Congress this year.

According to the St. Helena Star, "Tabios began writing poems about her own experiences or interests, she soon gravitated to “playing with words that weren’t limited by their dictionary definitions.That was more playful to me, and more interesting,” she said. “I moved from poems about myself to poems exploring things I didn’t know. The adage, ‘write what you know’? No. No. I write to discover.”

Sound advice. Be sure to check out the article!

No comments: