Monday, January 16, 2017

[Poem] Imperious


My poem "Imperious first appeared in Hyphen Magazine in 2006 and was included in my 2007 collection of Lao American speculative poetry, On The Other Side Of The Eye. It seems appropriate for this week

"Imperious" appeared along with my longer poem "Whorl." It still feels a bit like yesterday I'd been composing this one. A big thanks goes to Barbara Jane Reyes who selected the piece, and to Hyphen Magazine for really trying to make it all come together.

These days, the print magazine industry still doesn't make consistent space for the Asian American voice, and many of our best journals seem to have raised the white flag on that and made the move over to digital. There's a part of me that understands the practicality of such decisions, but I hope for future generations they never see it as the only possible option.

No comments: